Edmund & Harry Schneider

 

    

  

- Edmund (right) and Harry (left) Schneider - 

 (working on a Kookaburra with a Nymph in the background)

Christopher McDonnell found this 1965 photo in the National Archives of Australia under the category "Migrants in Employment in Australia". He suggests that may have been unintentionally 'hidden' in the archives because of the misspelling of the family name as 'Schenider'. The caption reads ... Immigration - Migrants in employment in Australia - German. Glider designer Edmund Schenider and his son. Harry, have established a thriving business near Adelaide, South Australia. They receive orders from all parts of Australia and New Zealand. Before the war, they owned a glider factory in the village of Grunau/Schlesien. Harry says: "Australia's glorious summer weather is the best in the world for gliding enthusiasts".  

  

The following is from ...

 "Gliding in South Australia - a brief historical narrative

  (compiled by Beverley Matthews) ...

After the war new gliding clubs began to spring up. In 1950, Edmund Schneider, well known German glider designer (Grunau Baby etc) and manufacturer, was invited to come to Australia and set up a factory. He accepted and arrived with his family in 1951. They moved to South Ausrtralia in early 1952 and set up a factory/workshop, eventually being located at Parafield Airport. 

  

 

 

Many sailplanes were designed and built by Edmund Schneider and his son Harry. Among these is the venerable Kookaburra, which was the backbone of two-seater training in Australia from the mid-1950's to the end of the 60's. The ES60 Boomerang first flew in November 1964, and immediately proved to be superior to imported sailplanes, until the advent of glass-fibre construction. (In 1994, during a sports class contest, one pilot averaged 113 km/h over the course in his Boomerang against a 15m fibreglass machine's 120 km/h.) Kookaburras and Boomerangs were exported to several countries.

  

   

          

 > Return to "Gliding Queensland -  HISTORY"